Wednesday, 1 April 2009

Facebook an' tha'

I can't sleep. I was woken up by a bad man with a mask, so instead of lying there getting wound up by myself for not being able to switch off I thought I'd try and tire myself out by having a good old fashioned rant.

I'm getting increasingly fucked off with facebook.

One of the things that made me defect from MySpace and join facebook 2 years ago was the lack of gimicks. MySpace was all about making you profile flashy, with big words, having a cool song, writing an essay for your about me section, taking a good picture for your display picture, getting good picture comments, ordering your top friends according to who's top friends you were in... most people are guilty of at least a couple of these things. I am guilty of most of them, but its just what you did.

Facebook had none of that, and I loved the amount of pictures you could upload and I loved tagging. I love photos. But then things started creeping in. You could add applications to make your profile more flashy, like top friends. People add you as a friend all over the show, and thats when it occurred to me to not bother filling in things like interests and favourite things, you'll know what they are if you know me, or you should at least know me well enough to ask.

I hate the wall. Its attention seeking pure and simple. I hate how you have to justify sending someone a private message with "excuse the private message but..." People have full on conversations on walls, and no one else should really care whats being said, so why do we do it? It encourages stalking to the extreme. I have wall conversations because thats what you do, PMs are just wierd, I don't want people thinking I'm all keen to get them on their own with a PM.

I hate most status updates. Not all. You could call a blog a massive status update, so I'd be a bloody hypocrite if I said I hated them all. What really annoys me is when people put something like "... is pissed off" then you ask them why and they say they don't wish to discuss it. WHY THE FUCK HAVE YOU TOLD US THEN? I've learnt to live by the rule of never asking the obvious question, don't give them the satisfaction. Also, people shouldn't bother with things like "Kim is..." and that's it. Yes, you are "...", a complete blank if you genuinely can't think what to put, don't bother.

Groups. If 1,000,000 people join you'll what? Go away and die? Lets see if we can find 1,000,000 people who love the city of Liverpool? Of course there are probably that many but they're out their enjoying their city not banging on about it in some shitty little group on facebook. British national groups advocating that "paki" should be an acceptable way to refer to someone, because British people don't get offended by "brit". People trying to rid facebook of paedophiles and murderers - chances are if Ian Huntley is on facebook, he won't be using his own name. All of facebook could join the group, you wouldn't be any closer to lynching him. And what about "let's unite all 8 zillion of us on facebook in one group", hello? There's already a group that does that, it's called facebook, nob'ead. There are useful groups though, like ones for specific things, like our zoology one.

I don't want to know your quiz results. If you have to take a test to find out what your personality is, don't bother with the test, just ask me. You don't have one. I won't add your shitty application. I won't invite 15 people to add your application. I won't join your cause.

I know I sound like a right moody cow, and I am. I know you're probably thinking, I bet you've done half those things yourself, and I have, but I've realised no one actually cares. The difference between writing about yourself on a blog and on facebook is that people have chosen to come here and find out what I have to say on life, the universe and everything, if its not liked, I don't expect people to return to this page. Facebook, its all there in front of you, you have to plough through masses of utter shite just to get to where you want to be, which is essentially the clues for the brookhouse quiz, unfortunately a few walls since this is they way we stay in touch these days, your mates photos, and our lovely thread (some of the great advantages to facebook, and reasons I shall never leave). Girlies, you know who you are, I love you and you make facebook, the world and my life altogether a better place, as do all the other gems who make me laugh out loud.

I feel that I'm somewhat missing the target with this, but I can't see how to change it to make it better so it'll have to do, 3.24am is bedtime I think.



Goodnight.